Ingredients for Korean Barbecue Fries
• 1 tablespoon canola oil
• 1 sliced white onion
• 4 cups (or more) of sea salt fries
• 1 cup shredded cheddar-jack cheese, divided
• 1½ cups (or more) cooked pork belly
• 1 to 2 tablespoons of avocado and coriander cream
• 1 cup of pico de gallo
• A handful of chopped fresh coriander to decorate
Ingredients for Korean BBQ Pork Belly
• 1 pound thinly sliced pork belly (into ½-inch pieces)
• 1 teaspoon kosher salt
• ½ teaspoon black pepper
• ½ small white onion, sliced
• 1 jalapeño, thinly sliced (remove seeds to make it less spicy)
• 2 fresh garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 1 tablespoon of mirin
• 2 tablespoons sesame oil
• 1 cup Firecracker sauce
• 2 tablespoons canola oil
Ingredients for the Firecracker Sauce
• ¾ cup of brown sugar
• 2 tablespoons gochujang (Korean red chili paste)
• ¾ cup low sodium soy sauce
• ¼ cup of water
• 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar
• 2 teaspoons of sesame oil
• 6 fresh garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 2 inches of fresh ginger peeled and finely chopped
• 1 tablespoon cornstarch
• 1 tablespoon of water
Korean BBQ fries
Preparation of the Korean Barbecue Fries:
1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium / high heat, sauté onions for 5 to 6 minutes until soft and translucent. Reserve them.
2. Serve the fries in individual containers.
3. Top with half of the grated cheese, the pork belly, the remaining grated cheese, the avocado and cilantro cream, the pico de gallo, and garnish with cilantro.
Preparation of the Pork Belly to the Korean Barbecue
1. Combine all ingredients (except canola oil) in a bowl and stir until smooth.
2. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in refrigerator from 20 minutes to 36 hours.
3. Heat canola oil in large skillet over medium / high heat.
4. Sauté the pork for 8-10 minutes, until golden and caramelized.
Preparation of the Firecracker Sauce
1. In a small saucepan over medium / high heat, add the brown sugar, chili paste, soy sauce, water, rice vinegar, sesame oil, garlic, and ginger. Stir them and bring them to a boil.
2. Meanwhile, combine cornstarch and water until mixture is smooth.
3. When the sauce is simmering, add the cornstarch mixture, reduce heat, and simmer until shiny and thick (2 to 3 minutes).
4. Set aside until ready to use.