County Changes

Vital Records Services, Starting July 1, 2016

Santa Clara County / CALIFORNIA

The County of Santa Clara is streamlining Vital Records services. Beginning July 1, 2016, there will be a one-stop location for birth certificates and death certificates through the Santa Clara County Clerk Recorder’s Office four weeks after the event. The Santa Clara County Public Health Department will no longer provide a public service counter for Vital Records services.

“The Clerk-Recorder’s Office has the ability to fill requests quickly, take all forms of payment, and offers online ordering of birth and death certificates,” said Gina Alcomendras, Santa Clara County Clerk-Recorder, whose office serves nearly 500 walk-in visitors per day for various services. “We are making these changes to provide a single point of access for residents purchasing or reordering birth and death certificates.”

The Clerk-Recorder’s Office also issues marriage licenses, performs marriage ceremonies, and registers confidential marriages. The office performs services related to filing of Fictitious Business Name statements, filing of Notary Bonds, registration of professional agents and similar services.

“The Public Health Department worked with the Clerk Recorder’s Office to determine the most effective way to provide vital records to the community,” said County Health Officer, Sara Cody, M.D., Director of the Public Health Department. “With a well-managed customer service program in place, the Clerk Recorder’s Office is the best place to go to get birth and death certificates.”

Birth and Death Certificates

When the public service counter at the Public Health Department closes on June 30, 2016, the public may purchase birth and death certificates in three ways:


at the Santa Clara County Clerk-Recorder’s Office at 70 W. Hedding St., San Jose, Monday through Friday, between 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.;

·Order online at;

Order by mail

Visit to view the list of required materials for purchasing vital records, or for more information on how to obtain records in person or by mail. For more information or questions, call (408) 299-5669 or email